Day 1 Part 1: The Beginning of an Adventure!

The hardest part in every endeavor is to start. Like composing this essay, the hardest part is the introduction. But once done, everything felt like a breeze. Did not slept well last night, kept thinking what is going to happen today. Pondering with questions like "What if I got lost in the highway and can't reach the office on time?", "What if I wrongly connect a wire and damage the machine due to lack of knowledge?", "Do I have sufficient knowledge to survive tomorrow's assignments?", "What type of assignments will Mr. James give me?" and many more. In order to prevent that, I was heavily "armed" with all the books I have, hand drawn maps complete with landmarks (Petronas, 7-11, mosque, restaurants, etc) and two separate alarm clocks to make sure I wake up at  6am and depart before 7am to avoid heavy traffic.

Departed at 6.50am. Missed an intersection in Puchong but due to the "high level of detail" of my hand drawn map, I was able to find my way around and arrived at 7.30am and had breakfast nearby. Promised Mr. James that I will arrive before 9am. Wow! I was 90 minutes early!

My first assignment, I was given an instruction manual about an inverter. This inverter is used to control the speed of an induction motor by varying the voltage and/or frequency of the supply voltage. It falls under Variable Frequency Drive or specifically the VVVF (Variable Voltage Variable Frequency Drive). Basically this is what the inverter looks like, in 2D: (used Power Point to make this picture)

I learn about how to assemble and dissemble it, wire connections, the proper way to ground several similar inverters, circuit terminals and how to troubleshoot the machine. There are several programming codes each with a specific function. The programming functions are accessible by pressing a few buttons. The explanation is too long. More about this later. Oh, I forgot to mention, there's another intern in the office. He's in for one month already.

Then me and my collie were given another task, to troubleshoot a customer's UPS Device. No its not the courier service, its the abbreviation of Uninterruptible Power Supply. Its basically a backup battery for utility machines in the event of power failure or blackout. These are the instruments used: 


First we have to find out what is the maximum resistance for this VR using Fluke 112 Series Multimeter. It turns out to be 89.0ohms. Then we have to construct the simple power supply - load circuit to test the UPS. Using the Fluke Clamp Meter, (looks pretty weird, no?) the current is measured to see if the UPS is stable or not under any load conditions.

All this was before lunch hour. We went for a fieldwork in the afternoon. I will describe my experience in Part 2 of this day. 

Sifu I learnt a lot!

posted under , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Born in Klang during the Year-of-the-Dragon on the month of Scorpio. Currently 171cm tall, quite skinny with the face of a 17 year old. Perfect Melancholy Personality trait. Timid, loner, hardworking, dedicated to a job and full of ideas. Loves to feed stray cats and often nicknamed "kucing" by friends.

Followers