Day 4: I'm Such a NOOB !

There, I said it! I am still so far away from being even the basic engineer. Me and my collie spent most of the day installing an inverter in a furniture factory in Kepong but this time, WE are the technicians. Today's visit gives me the REAL experience of being an enginner.

As soon as we arrived at the factory, I was asked to read the circuit diagram of a relay. This relay has 14 pins and 4 relays built into a package with three pins each. The two other pins are supposed to be connected to a power supply. It is then mounted to a connector box to ease the wiring process. The relay and connector box looks something like this:


Then Mr. James asked me to connect the power supply input and one of the relay input. Oops..which wire to connect and where to connect them? Feels kind of embarrassed not to know such a basic thing. My collie is way ahead doing some soldering work. Mr. James then guided me on what to do. Ooo so that's how it is! 

Next we move on to installing the inverter to a machine to upgrade the motor speed control. The inverter used this time is different than yesterday. The programming method is different. Did some drilling work and lots of wire stripping work. By the time I was done it was 1.30pm and we went for lunch nearby. Again Mr. James was paying for my nasi campur. (Thanks a lot Mr. James!)

What a great lunch! Ok now get back to work! I wanted to connect my stripped wire to the inverter terminals but Mr. James stopped me from doing that. I'm suppose to clamp the wire first. I never knew such procedure existed. Here's the brief conversation between me and Mr. James:

Me:             Err..how to clamp this?
Mr. James:  Use the connector
Me:             Ok done, now let me put this into the inverter
Mr. James:  Wait, you need to clamp first so that it won't come out so easily
Me:             ?? how to clamp, Sir?
Mr. James:  Use this


Me:             Err..how to use?
Mr. James:  Like this (perform demonstration)
Me:             Oooooooooooo..........

Such a basic thing and I never knew about it! There's a lot that I don't know! Thank you Mr. James for patiently teaching me! There's some other tasks that Mr. James told me to do but I don't know where to start. Somehow I feel that I'm not being very helpful today. As an engineer, we must know exactly what our superior wants and MUST be able to know what and how to do it flawlessly. This is what I learnt today. 

Went back a bit late today. Still a long way to become a competent engineer. I hope I can keep up.

posted under , , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Born in Klang during the Year-of-the-Dragon on the month of Scorpio. Currently 171cm tall, quite skinny with the face of a 17 year old. Perfect Melancholy Personality trait. Timid, loner, hardworking, dedicated to a job and full of ideas. Loves to feed stray cats and often nicknamed "kucing" by friends.

Followers