Day 9: Mistakes

Thursday already? I still felt like Tuesday! Still have that "Monday Blues" kind of feeling. What makes me nervous in this internship is that I don't know what to expect whether there will be any fieldwork today, what kind of assignments Mr. James will give me today, what to eat for lunch..everything is unpredictable. Its not a routine. Totally different from lecture week. The timetable is fixed, lunch hour is fixed, even sleep time is fixed. Its quite a challenge to change this routine-based mindset. But its a good thing actually as engineers have to work on odd hours and often given weird assignments.

In the morning I did some troubleshooting to the inverter. But today I learnt something new about RELAYS. This type of relay has four "contacts". I think I have discussed this somewhere in my blog. But this time I learnt how to use them to access specific functions of the inverter. Each relay has two types of contacts, the "normally close" and "normally open" contacts. To access a specific function in an inverter when the inverter is powered on, connect the "normally open" contact so that when the relay receives power, the contact moves to the "normally close" contact and turns on the feature that is accessed by the relay. You may not understand this but nevermind. I'm just recalling what I learnt this morning. The relay that I used looks very close to this:



In the process of learning that, I discovered that I have made many silly mistakes before. Remember the drawing I did yesterday? There's a mistake in one of the measurements. Then I discovered I copied something wrongly, and did not learn some important things from my collie. When asked a simple question from Mr. James, I answered wrongly. 

Mistakes, humans are prone to it. I realized that when you have made a mistake and say to your boss "But Sir, everyone make mistakes...", you can get fired! Yes we all make mistakes but the question is, "How often you make them?". Mistakes can be costly to the company. It can humiliate you as well. I seriously hope that I will not damage any inverters or other expensive components due to improper or incorrect wiring. 

After lunch Mr. James brought us "jalan-jalan" around Puchong, Bukit Jalil and the outskirts of Shah Alam to deliver some stuffs to the customer. Before the trip ends, we revisited the rubber manufacturing factory in Shah Alam to inspect a faulty inverter and a set of proximity sensor. I have visited this factory before on Day 1 of my diary. There I saw a motor about the size of a Perodua Kancil. Its huge! I wonder how much power is needed to run it! There's also a gear system attached to it.

That's it for today. Went back at 6pm and it was raining. The statement "asal hujan je KL mesti jam" in Day 7 of my blog is true! The trip back took longer than usual, about 1 hour 10 minutes!

posted under , , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Born in Klang during the Year-of-the-Dragon on the month of Scorpio. Currently 171cm tall, quite skinny with the face of a 17 year old. Perfect Melancholy Personality trait. Timid, loner, hardworking, dedicated to a job and full of ideas. Loves to feed stray cats and often nicknamed "kucing" by friends.

Followers