Day 5: Be Part of It !


That's it! I'm done for the week! If I were to sum up my experience so far in one word, that word would be CHALLENGING. Everything is moving very fast around me. It all depends on myself to keep up with the pace. During normal lecture week the lecturer may only be able to cover 1 chapter but in my internship, its like three chapters a day. Chapter 1: Inverters. Ten minutes later, Chapter 2: UPS troubleshooting. Then in the middle of it, Chapter 3: Ethics 101- How to Answer a Phone Call, and the list goes on. But most of the time its fun to train myself to multitask and learn quickly. The stressful part is when I was given a simple instruction and don't know what to do. Like I said before, time flows like water. No, more like a rapid river. If you're too slow, it'll drag you with it and you'll drown if you can't recover quickly.

Alright, enough with the metaphors. Today Mr. James brought me to a wax factory in Batu Caves. Great! Another fieldwork! But this time its just me and Mr. James. The factory just ordered an inverter from Mr. James and they need us to install it and get the motor running. The installation and wiring part is done by one of Mr. James' technicians. Its very technical, I would not be able to do it anyway. But I did observe and learn some new info like how to drill a very large hole to a steel plate. And I did help the technician to hold the ladder, pack his drill and instruments and some petty non-technical stuff.

One thing I like working with Mr. James is that he'll never let me sit and do nothing. He always try to find something for me to do and be part of the maintenance process. When the installation part is done, Mr. James asked me to PROGRAM the inverter. Lucky me its one of those Sanken Inverters which I am already familiar with. A few parameters is set to meet the customer's specifications. After accessing a few program codes of the inverter it is done and the motor is ready to rock run.

After a few tweaks on the frequency, the motor is running at the correct speed and as stable as a rock. The current is reasonably low. Then everyone is happy. Guess what? I get to teach one of the factory's high-ranking officer or the supervisor or something on how to change the speed of the inverter! What a great experience! At the end of the day, everyone is happy and we all go home dirty and tired but in utter satisfaction. Make your boss happy and you'll be well rewarded.

The end of the first week marks the end of my employer's first impression towards my attitude, level of knowledge and trustworthiness. On the third day I already got a complement from Miss Goh that goes "wah, awak sangat rajin..." that is the kind of remark that drives me to perform better. It will never slip my mind. After all the things I've done be it in or out of the office, I am certain now that I'm on the right track to become a fully competent engineer and I strongly believe Speed Drives and Automation Sdn. Bhd. can take me there. Thank You Sifu!

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Born in Klang during the Year-of-the-Dragon on the month of Scorpio. Currently 171cm tall, quite skinny with the face of a 17 year old. Perfect Melancholy Personality trait. Timid, loner, hardworking, dedicated to a job and full of ideas. Loves to feed stray cats and often nicknamed "kucing" by friends.

Followers