Day 37: Tempura and Spirit


This post was supposed to be published yesterday! But I was quite exhausted yesterday and slept early. Anyway, yesterday's traffic was abnormal! Took me more than 75 minutes to get to the office! No accidents, no stalled vehicles, just heavy traffic volume.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened in the morning, but I went to two big factories after lunch. First Mr. James took me to a food manufacturing factory in Pulau Indah, Klang. We went for a short detour to rendezvous (run-de-vou) with a technician at the nearby petrol station. Arrived at the factory and met with the factory's electrician and he brought us to the nugget manufacturing department. But before we were allowed in, we have to put on the hair-cover, face mask, a jacket and a pair of boots. Its part of the visitor's procedure to enter the manufacturing plant. 

As soon as we entered the plant, the smell of tempura sweeps through my nose buds and immediately I'm craving for nuggets! Turns out the nuggets made here are one of the famous brand available in all hypermarkets! Anyway, we were called in to download and save the PLC program from all of the machines. No pictures taken so I'll try to describe as best as I can. The machine is actually a very long conveyor with motor and mechanical devices along the way. Each group of mechanical devices and motors are controlled by a PLC. Our job was to download all the program from all of the PLCs. Mr. James technician was doing all the work so I just observed what he did. He encountered some compatibility problem so I wrote down the PLC model and will return some other day.

At the end of the conveyor there's a place where pre-cooked nuggets are rolled in and ready for packing. Here the smell of tempura is even more intense! If only I can just reach one, just one of the nuggets and devour it slowly to savour the taste...*drooling* but I can't because there's a guy there making sure the quantity is correct.   

Next we went deep into the palm-oil plantations of Teluk Panglima Garang to a furniture factory to propose a solution to the factory's dilemma regarding an inverter. The problem is that the display device of an inverter spoils prematurely due to frequent pressing on the keypad. So Mr. James proposed to them to use external switches and potentiometer to minimize dependency on the inverter keypad. They're speaking in chinese. I can't make out what they are saying.

Being inside that factory is quite suffocating. The smell of thinner, spirit, varnish and timber are everywhere and highly concentrated. I don't think my lungs can survive very long if I work there. Lucky we were there just for a short while.

Two contradictory workplaces. One energizes your appetite the other destroys it. One has a strict cleanliness protocols the other has none. One has air-cond the other just free open air. Either way, they share one common goal, to manufacture as much as possible daily and meet customer demands.

posted under , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Born in Klang during the Year-of-the-Dragon on the month of Scorpio. Currently 171cm tall, quite skinny with the face of a 17 year old. Perfect Melancholy Personality trait. Timid, loner, hardworking, dedicated to a job and full of ideas. Loves to feed stray cats and often nicknamed "kucing" by friends.

Followers