Day 18: Young All-rounded Engineer

Finally recovered my energy and able to do two posts today. Had breakfast on the way to the office at KFC Petronas USJ 20 today. Quite a peaceful place to have breakfast and there was less than five customers dining in. I even updated my logbook there.

At 9:15am, some unknown number called my phone. I was quite reluctant to answer it because Mr. James was in front of me but I eventually answer the call. Turns out it was that guy with the 24krpm motor that came into the office yesterday! He called to ask about the inverter terminal connections. The conversation is entirely in English. I tried to maintain my composure and speak as politely and as clearly as I can. With the help of Mr. James I was able to answer all of his queries. Customer management skills I acquired during my previous job in COE Kiosk, UNITEN also proved to be handy in this situation.

A good engineer must not be good in technical work alone but in customer management as well. That call is one way to train me to be an all-rounded engineer.
Around 3.30pm, Mr. James gave me an inverter to learn. The Mitsubishi inverter. As usual the setup is shown below:



The user manual is very user-friendly. All the details are grouped together nicely with reference pages included. Ironically, I was not able to setup the inverter to use the external potentiometer to control the speed of the motor. The reason is that the Mitsubishi inverter is used for highly advanced and accurate applications so the descriptions are "not in English", metaphorically speaking, or incomprehensible at some parts. But eventually with the help of my collie we were able to solve the problem.

In the process of learning that inverter, a customer came in to purchase a proximity sensor. He looked at me and asked, "Trainee aa? You Form 5 is it?" Immediately I answered, "No no, I'm 22 years old" And he replied, "Wah you look so young!" still with the face of disbelief. Its good to have that kind of impression from people. So "young" but can service a very complicated machine. But that impression has it own pros and cons. The downside of it especially when I'm going to look for long-term jobs later is that employer will under-estimate my capabilities because I look so young and naive. They will go "This guy look so young, I don't think he can take the job". Then I will have a hard time convincing the interviewer later.
Whatever that is, I still have more than a year before I have to worry about that. Let's just put aside that issue and enjoy university life while it lasts.

posted under , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Born in Klang during the Year-of-the-Dragon on the month of Scorpio. Currently 171cm tall, quite skinny with the face of a 17 year old. Perfect Melancholy Personality trait. Timid, loner, hardworking, dedicated to a job and full of ideas. Loves to feed stray cats and often nicknamed "kucing" by friends.

Followers