Day 22: Good Prospect

Second day without a collie. So far so good. Feels great to be in control of such a big workspace. I can divide it into quadrants to ease my work. The first quadrant is for the inverter, the second to put the instruction manual, the third to put another inverter and some empty space for the customer. The dispatch boy is absent so I get to use his desk too. 

Even with that kind of planning, the workstation was a mess! I often misplaced the screwdriver and took another one but it turns out that the screwdriver is just under the inverter cover beside me. That's how the mess escalates.

No fieldwork today. But Mr. James gave me a new brand of inverter to learn and test. This time its from Toshiba. Its a single phase, 200V, 2hp inverter. Much simpler than the Mitsubishi inverter. The Mitsubishi inverter has 800+ instructions or program codes while the Toshiba has less than 80 instructions so it's quite a straight-forward inverter. But there's a flaw. The control panel is in Japanese!!! (or is it Chinese?)



Fortunately the manual is in English. There's even a picture of the control panel that is in English. Phew~ At first it is very tedious to refer to that page each time I want to change the program codes. But once I get the hang of it, its very easy as if I was able to read Japanese! Spent the whole day working on this inverter to explore its functions.

After lunch Miss Goh asked me to tune a switching power supply unit (switching PSU) to output exactly 26.4V DC. The switching PSU normally outputs 24V DC but adjustable up to 27V. Took some patience to tune it with precision because there is a small delay before the value of the output stabilizes. After a few minutes I managed to tune it to exactly 26.4V as requested.



Around 10am a guy came in. He's an alumni from UPM. Now he's working in an electronics repairing company. We start to mingle and he told me that I should pursue my studies in PLC and automation engineering because the demand for such engineer is on the rise and selling these items can make a huge business. There are hundreds of factories in the vicinity of Shah Alam alone and they ALL need these automation machines to run. Now I'm seriously reconsidering what major I will take in my final year. Would it be Computer Engineering or Control and Automation Engineering?  

posted under , |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Born in Klang during the Year-of-the-Dragon on the month of Scorpio. Currently 171cm tall, quite skinny with the face of a 17 year old. Perfect Melancholy Personality trait. Timid, loner, hardworking, dedicated to a job and full of ideas. Loves to feed stray cats and often nicknamed "kucing" by friends.

Followers